Cabrillo National Monument Centennial
A Brief Centennial History
On October 14, 1913, by presidential proclamation, Woodrow Wilson reserved a half acre of Fort Rosecrans for "The Order of Panama ... to construct a heroic statue of Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo." By 1926 no statue had been placed and the Order of Panama was defunct, so President Calvin Coolidge authorized the Native Sons of the Golden West to erect a suitable monument. The statue of Cabrillo, looking out over the bay, was executed by sculptor Álvaro De Brée (1903-1962) for the Portuguese Government in 1939, who then donated it to the United States. The limestone monument is 14 feet tall and weighs 14,000 pounds. Today, as the Park celebrates its first 100 years, it has grown to 160 acres.
References• www.nps.gov travel page about Cabrillo National Monument
• Wikipedia.org page about Cabrillo National Monument
• Cabrillo teacher's fieldtrip page
• information about Álvaro De Brée